Here’s a random fact about me – all my life, I have had a crippling fear of fish. And when I say fish, I mean anything at all that lives in water. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it’s true. I’m fine with snakes, spiders, all the usual suspects…but bring me anywhere near a fish, and I’ll probably have a panic attack.
This fear meant that, for the first twenty-one years of my life, I never ever ate any form of fish. I just couldn’t stand the thought of it. People always insisted I was missing out on so many delicious things…but I was very stubborn, and adamant I was going to have a fish-free diet forever.
Until last Christmas. I was at a party, and had drank rather a lot of prosecco, as is the way of the festive season. They had a huge tapas spread going on, and there was a huge plate of smoked salmon and king prawns. And for some reason, my intoxicated brain went “Do you know what? That looks really good…” So I tried it all. And I swear…I haven’t looked back!
I’m so glad I did that, because I can see now what everyone was talking about – seafood is delicious! I eat it almost every day now, I feel like I’m making up for lost time. It’s so full of flavour, and there are so many different ways to enjoy it. And the best part…it’s so unbelievably good for you! Fish is full of fantastic nutrients, really high in omega 3 (which you need for a healthy heart and brain), packed with protein, vitamin D…basically, it is one of the healthiest things in the world. I just adore it.
So my first ever sea-food inspired recipe is my spicy prawn arrabiatta pasta. This is an Italian classic, which I have put my own little twist on. I’m using spelt pasta – if you haven’t tried spelt, I would really recommend it! It’s the most wonderful, moreish texture…and it’s so much less heavy and less bloating than white pasta. And a lot better for you!
Jonathan and I literally can’t stop making this recipe at the moment, it’s our absolute go-to. I hope you love it as much as we do.
Enjoy! And share any recreations using the hashtag #lucysloveoffood – I love to see them.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you like a little less heat)
- 8 vine tomatoes, diced
- Large handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pack of cooked, peeled king prawns
- 2 servings of spelt pasta (depending how hungry you are!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, over a medium heat. Throw in the garlic and chilli, and fry them off for 3-5 minutes. Take care the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Then add the diced tomatoes, lemon juice, oregano, basil, prawns and a splash of water. Bring to a simmer, and let the sauce continue to simmer over a low heat for about twenty minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Then simply drain the pasta, tip it into the pan, and combine with the delicious sauce.
- Serve garnished with more fresh basil, a wedge of lemon to squeeze over, and some fresh chilli, if you like.